Monday, April 28, 2008

Our Going Away Party

Our going away party was actually on Saturday, April 19, but I’m only just recovered enough to write about it now. Rebecca and I estimated that there were 40 people at the party when it was in full swing. Understand that neither of us is worth a pile of pea gravel when it comes to math, but 40 people, give or take a few, is a lot of people to squeeze into a 1000 square foot townhouse. Fortunately, we had perfect weather so we were able to utilize our newly landscaped back yard, which is now trampled and in need of landscaping.

To the best of my recollection, the party was great. My folks attended from New Jersey, and split to my in-laws place at around 7 with Maya, Jonah and my nephew Gabriel. My sister Christine was there with her husband Paul and my sister Cathy was there with her husband Todd. My cousin Mike was there with his wife Maggie and their daughters Bella and Lillian. Everyone else, neighbors, old neighbors, old friends, new friends (i.e., those not blood-related to me) was probably there to see Rebecca. But that’s okay; I’ve gone to parties just to see Rebecca too.

Rebecca’s dad made some wicked Sangria. Rebecca, of course, prepared awesome food which had some semblance to a Latin American theme (I think we had salsa. But we also had pigs in a blanket. Hey, we intend to bring CULTURE to Ecuador). A few days after the party, Rebecca informed me that the food actually came out in stages, so that folks could spread their gastro-intestinal pleasure out over several courses, rather than wolfing down as much as possible in a half-hour and then letting the flies go to town. I neglected to eat, as I often do at parties, so my gastro-intestines missed out.

Lots of fun things happened at the party. My memories include not throwing up; giving Maya and her friends “reverse underdogs” on the swings at the Powhatan Park playground, which is behind our house; watching Jonah and my nephew Gabriel tear up my backyard while they played basketball with Jonah’s Little Tykes basketball hoop (this would have been gut-wrenching if not for the beer cooler close at hand); all the kids playing in the park and playground while the chaperones came and went, depending on their liquid needs; meeting our friend Kristen’s friend Alan and having them sleep in our bed (Not with us, Rebecca and I slept on a futon); having my first red bull and vodka, prepared by my sister Cathy (More, please!); and getting to hear my late night, dance mix playlist on the IPod, the playlist opens with a medley of Black Sabbath songs (Hand of Doom, Rat Salad, Jack the Stripper, Fairies Wear Boots. Though, come to think of it, I think Rebecca made me skip those songs). If anyone is reading this who attended the party and has memories, please add your memories by commenting to this post. This is one of my techniques to make my life richer; in a few years I’ll remember your memories as my memories.

But, the highlight for me was probably getting our neighbor Adam to agree to be the caretaker of our place while we are in Ecuador. One more item checked off the to-do list! I approached Adam with this task when he was buzzed enough to agree to anything, but not drunk enough so that he wouldn’t remember our conversation. Of course, in order to play the opportunity to my advantage, I had to maintain a level of sobriety myself, which I did. I thought I had actually done a better job of this because I went through the whole next day believing I hadn’t done anything embarrassing. But alas, when I sat down with my Mom and sister Christine on Sunday night, I was reminded of some things that I didn’t quite remember. The upside to the downside, though, is that none of those things involved me walking around with no pants.

7 comments:

Zoe said...

I was not at the party and so, sadly, did not get to eat any of Rebecca's undoubtedly yummy cooking. But the issue of food coming out in stages begs a question or two, or maybe three, for Rebecca: How do you bring food out in stages and not get trapped in your kitchen? Have you been reading Martha Stewart's "Living"? Who are you?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I brought the food out in stages, but not like as if it were a restaurant with consecutive courses. Basically it was 2 servings - the food for the early crowd with kids, and food for the later crowd of grownups. I did stay in the kitchen mostly, but when I go to parties at other places, I'm usually hanging out where the food is anyway, 'cause that's where I like to be. It was funny though because the pictures of the party was nothing that I saw!

Anonymous said...

Memory from the party... Paul gives Bella a coconut popsickle and THEN calls me to ask if she's allergic (which she is). By the way, we immunize against Hep B in infancy to reduce the asymptomatic carrier state in adulthood thereby breaking the transmission cycle. Vaccinate your kids!

Bronwyn said...

Although I wasn't there, the ending of this party sounds familiar. Only I'm not sleeping under your kid's bed this time. And I bet Alan actually would have paid for the pizza in advance.

Paul said...

actually, i remember the popsicle incident. i was the responsible one. rebecca gave the popsicle and i decided we should call mike to find out bella's allergies. i learned my lesson when i gave her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich a few years ago (bella is also allergic to peanuts). i'm sure all her allergies were brought on by early and unnecessary vaccinations.

Cathy said...

Had a blast shakin' it with you late night in your kitchen. You always did spice up a dance floor, even if it is in your kitchen at midnight. You're a goofy guy!

christine said...

I remember my brother throwing me to the wolves. He knows what I am talking about!!!