Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Complicated Life

These are lyrics to The Kinks song, Complicated Life. If I knew how to link you to the song, I would. But Rebecca is the technical pussycat in this relationship. So, I'll try to get her to link the song in the next few days, if we can do that sort of thing on this blog. We are still figuring this thing out. Anyway, the lyrics speak for themselves, I think.

Well I woke this morning with a pain in my neck,
A pain in my heart and a pain in my chest,
I went to the doctor and the good doctor said,
You gotta slow down your life or you're gonna be dead,
Cut out the struggle and strife,
It only complicates your life.

Well I cut down women, I cut out booze,
I stopped ironing my shirts, cleaning my shoes,
I stopped going to work, stopped reading the news,
I sit and twiddle my thumbs cos I got nothing to do,
Minimal exercise,
To help uncomplicate my life,
Gotta stand and face it life is so complicated,
Ladi dah di dahdah, ladi dah di dah dah,
You gotta get away from the complicated life, son,
Life is overrated, life is complicated,
Must alleviate this complicated life.

Cut out the struggle and strife,
It's such a complicated life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see the Kinks here, thanks to you I now like the Kinks, Desperate Dan, strawberry jam and all the different varieties (well, I actually liked jam varieties long before I knew you).
The lyrics are not necessarily speaking for themselves. I've created an image of your preparatory existence as you get ready to go and it seems anything but not complicated, then I place myself in Equador with two small kids (granted you speak the language better than I do) that downright gives me a complication. Some days two kids in English-speaking Vermont is complicated enough. I like the lines about going to the doctor as this entry appears right above the story about all the shots and doctor visits. The part about cutting out booze concerns me, but hopefully you're being sensible about that. Not going to work for a few months, nothing complicated about that.
So, I guess the lyrics, for me, present a lot of conflicting thoughts and feelings in relation to what it is you guys are doing. I hope you have happy travels and hope everything in uncomplicated. Peace.

Paul said...

Really, the applicable part of the lyrics are the stopping ironing my shirts and cleaning my shoes and going to work and reading the news. and the part where Ray suggests cut out the struggle and strife, it only complicates your life. I relate to all that in a big way. The rest of the lyrics don't necessarily relate to what we are doing, but the tune is very dance-able. And I like that.