Friday, May 23, 2008

Not all fun and games

Please give a big round of applause to our guest blogger, Rebecca . . .

So in all the fun and games that Paul describes he and the kids engaging in, it's easy to bypass the reason that we're here. I'm volunteering with a truly amazing organization called Asylum Access. This non-profit, non-governmental organization provides free legal services to refugees around the world. They opened an office here in Quito in November and I'm part of a second wave of volunteers to pass through.

According to the UN definition, a 'refugee' is a person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of their nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail him/herself of the protection of that country. As I may have mentioned before, Ecuador has approximately 250,000 refugees from neighboring Colombia, due to over 40 years of an internal armed conflict. Pretty heavy stuff that involves kidnapping, torture, death threats, rape, and forced military service.

In my immigration practice in Alexandria, I don't see much of these types of cases. Working only 2 days a week doesn't afford me the time and emotional energy it takes to successfully work with such complex clients. But I have worked with survivors of trauma before and though they have been my toughest cases, they were also hands-down the most rewarding. Not too many lawyers get to hear their clients thank them for saving their lives. I've been fortunate enough to hear that more than once.

So, it is out of pure selfishness that I've uprooted my family (both kids currently touched with a bout of Montezuma's Revenge) and come to Ecuador for the summer. Sure, Paul and I figured living down here for three months would be a cool adventure and hopefully the kids would get something neat out of it that they may remember when they're older. Sure we wanted to see if Ecuador really is this amazing place that we've read about. And sure, we want to check out the Galapagos Islands with all its natural splendor. But a big part of the decision to come here was for me to get to work with refugees and to again get that reward that comes with being able to give something truly valuable to someone who truly needs it.

My first week here was spent in training. I'm the only actual lawyer here. The other Volunteer Legal Assistants, as we're called, are law students and other people with an interest in refugees and human rights, because come on, how many lawyers can just pack up and leave for 3 months? I got three case assignments today and will find out more about them next week. Though last Monday I was somewhat regretting my decision to sign up to work 40 hours a week (without pay!) while Paul and the kids frolicked around Quito, I'm getting more excited about what's to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

applause to Rebecca? What are you actually doing for them?? Getting jobs for them? Getting them out of legal trouble? Getting visa's for them to move to another country? Curious!!!1 My mother in law says HI!!
Christine
Poor kids are they feeling any better?

Anonymous said...

Good point, 'eh? I'm helping them to get legal status here in Ecuador so they can live and work here.

andy said...

Hi guys,

What is going on over there for memorial day?

Seriously-What's the deal with the indoor pools? No outdoor pools in a country named after thecenter of earth?

Eat any good food lately?
Andy

Unknown said...

Rebecca,

You are an amazing person and I am honored that you are my friend. I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say that I saved their life. That must be amazing. But it also takes a lot of time and sacrifice on your part.

Love ya,
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Hi daughter-in-law and although,as you know I was not for this trip, you are doing something commendable,helping people who have no where to turn,God bless your work . You and your future clients are fortunate that you can afford and have the support to be able to do this. Get excited about the work but remember there are those that will need you back in the states. love ya Joanneadkt