Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Immigrant Song

It’s a little known fact that Robert Plant’s first attempt at lyrics for the Immigrant Song (reprinted below) was rejected by Jimmy Page. When Plant first sang the below lyrics to Page at Tuesday night karaoke night at Sheff’s Pub, Page was not impressed and sent Plant back to the writing room for something more Nordic. I’ve been able to acquire the bar napkins on which the original lyrics were written and reprint them here for your enjoyment:

The Immigrant Song

(original lyrics)

Shh, shh
We crossed the border at Organ Pipe
Got to Phoenix and hitched a ride
On to Idaho
To irrigate the fields
of russet potatoes
Western Union, I am coming.

Friday night, we get paid
Send some home use the rest to get laid.

Shh, shh
We drove through the snow on the Texas fields
To Florida and the citrus trees
It’s hot here in the trees
And I hope I don’t get stung
Or fall from the ladder and break my back
Health plan not paid by overlords

Fill burlap sacks, pound on pound
From sun up, until sun down

And now its time to stop, so fruit can grow again
Find your way back south or north
depending on the season.


I’m still trying to determine whether there is any truth to the rumor that the Zeppelin song “Whole Lotta Love” was originally about a glove salesman (I gotta whole lotta gloves. I gotta whole lotta gloves. When it’s cold outside, woman, you need glooooooooooooooooves!).

No comments: